Data Privacy Notice.
Your privacy is important to Jose Rizal University (JRU). We respect your privacy and we go to great lengths in protecting it. The Data Privacy Act of 2012 mandates JRU to provide you this Notice of our privacy practices. This Privacy Notice applies to the online services via JRU application sites (“Sites”) and to other processing necessary to carry out JRU’s function as an educational institution. We are committed in protecting your privacy thus, we urge you to read and understand carefully the policy set forth herein.
JRU collects and processes sensitive and personal information of students to enable JRU to carry out specific functions as an educational institution providing basic and higher education for which it is responsible. JRU only use and process personal information of its students for educational purposes such as: admission, registration, enrolment, academic evaluation and assessment, acquiring learning experiences, use of learning resources and facilities, research, satisfaction survey, graduation, and request for academic records, and to provide other school services .
Use of Website
Use of the Sites is voluntary. By using these Sites, you warrant that you are at least 18 years of age; if you are below 18 years of age you must be assisted by your parent/legal guardian while using these Sites. You and your guardian/parent agree and accept this Notice and the changes/amendments thereto, otherwise you should cease the use of these Sites.
What do we collect and how do we use it?
JRU collects certain personal information directly from its students and parents, and users when visiting, accessing, and using services on the Sites. JRU may request you to voluntarily provide certain personal and sensitive information in order to fully access and participate in areas that are secured and password protected, such as registration, enrolment and other online services.
We directly collect sensitive and personal information from you. These are information that you provide us or that we create or receive about your education. These may include your name, gender, age, family background, academic records, and other student information that may identify you. Sensitive information are those relating to your education, race, religion, marital status, health records, and the like, while personal information are any information which your identity is apparent or can be reasonably and directly ascertained.
Why we disclose Sensitive and Personal Information of students?
Generally, JRU does not share information about the students with anyone without consent unless the law and our policies allow us to do so. JRU shares student’s personal information with government entities (e.g., DepEd, and CHED) on a regulatory/statutory basis.
Under the law, JRU is required to disclose and/or process information under the following circumstances:
- In compliance with a legal obligation;
- To protect the vitally important interest of student;
- To respond to national emergency, to comply with the requirements of public order and safety, or to fulfill functions of public authority which necessarily includes the processing of personal data for the fulfillment of its mandate; and
- for the purposes of the legitimate educational interests pursued by JRU or by a third party to whom the data is disclosed;
For sensitive information, JRU is required to disclose and/or process said information under the following circumstances:
- When JRU is required by existing law and regulations;
- To protect the life and health of student or another person, and the student is not legally or physically able to express his/her consent prior to disclosure/processing;
- When necessary for purposes of medical treatment; and
- When necessary for the protection of lawful rights of persons in court proceedings, or the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims, or when provided to government or public authority.
What are the Legitimate educational interests pursued by JRU?
JRU may share your information among its departments and to third parties engaged by JRU without your consent for activities and transactions that are common in schools and for legitimate educational interest pursued by JRU. For instance, JRU does not need written consent for the following uses and disclosure:
- Administer your admission and enrollment to JRU;
- Register you in your course subjects;
- Support learning and delivery of education;
- Monitor and report on student progress;
- Provide appropriate pastoral care;
- Assess the quality of our services;
- Assess you the necessary fees;
- Maintain student records;
- Communicate announcement, reminders, services, and information relating to JRU and its events;
- Fulfill your request for services and materials;
- Contact you;
- Conduct surveys;
- Fulfill the contract with student and parents;
- Respond to subpoenas, court orders, and other legal processes;
- Comply with legal obligations set forth by law or regulation; and
- Other lawful processing and use authorized under the RA 10173 or Data Privacy Act of 2012
Other information the website collects
JRU also collects information by mere usage of our website. When you visit our website, we collect information such as, but not limited to, the IP address, or any of the locational information, provided by the device you use to access our Sites. We collect such information to help us identify user’s browsing preferences. This information is used for internal purposes so that we can improve the Sites.
Retention of personal information
JRU retains your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purpose(s) for which it was collected and to comply with applicable laws. Your consent to such purpose(s) remains valid after any termination of our relationship with you or after graduation.
Only authorized JRU personnel has access to these personal and sensitive information, the exchange of which shall be facilitated through email and hard copy.
What is your right with respect to your Personal and Sensitive information?
Subject to the limitations provided under the law and the policies of JRU, as the owner of the personal and sensitive information, students have the right to request access to, and correction of, your personal information by sending us a written letter of request. You also have the right to suspend, withdraw or order the blocking, removal or destruction of your personal data from JRU’s filing system subject to the provisions of the law and JRU’s policies. All requests for access or correction to Personal Information will be responded to in writing within a reasonable period of time. As part of this process we will verify the identity of the individual requesting the information prior to providing access or making any changes. JRU may impose reasonable fee for any copies.
Maintaining accurate personal information
JRU is required to maintain the accuracy of your personal information and you have a shared responsibility in ensuring your personal information is correct, accurate, and complete. Please notify the concerned office of any changes to your personal information.
Changes to this Policy
JRU may need to modify and amend this privacy notice from time to time to reflect our current privacy practices. We will inform you of material modifications to this policy in the future by posting changes on these Sites and/or through sending the changes via email.
If you have any questions about our policy or any complaint regarding the treatment of your privacy by us, please do not hesitate to contact us through our Compliance Officer.
JRU Data Protection Officer (DPO)
Phone: + 63 2 5318031 local 48
Email: email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are also entitled to contact the National Privacy Commission, the primary agency in charge with the enforcement of the Data Privacy Act.
National Privacy Commission
Address: 3rd Floor, Core G, GSIS Headquarters Bldg., Financial Center, 1308, Pasay, Metro Manila, Philippines
Phone: +63 2 517 7810